Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

With a little help from a muse, I decided the first batch of ice cream I'd make with my new ice cream maker would be chocolate.  But not just any chocolate, chocolate peanut butter!  Because really, around me, everything's better with peanut butter :)

So I looked through my books, and googled around... I had a lot of sources, a lot of options, and a lot of ingredients to skim through, but I finally decided to settle for the expert.  The first recipe I'm using for my ice cream maker is one (only slightly adapted) from The Perfect Scoop.

It's a little different from previous recipes I've made, mainly because you have to heat the ingredients first, then cool them completely, before putting them through the machine.  It's so hard to wait!

I made a half-batch because it's just for me, and I knew I'd have trouble rationing my ice cream intake once this gem was ready!  Enjoy :)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
(with peanut butter patties)

Makes: ... Several smaller servings, or one cure for a bad day.

Ice Cream Ingredients:
2 cups Half-and-half
¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
½ cup Sucanat
Pinch of sea salt
½ cup smooth peanut butter

Ice Cream Directions:
Whisk together the half-and-half, cocoa powder, Sucanat, and sea salt in a saucepan.  Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it starts to foam up into a full, rolling boil.


Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, (stirring it every fifteen minutes or so speeds this up... takes about 2 hours in the fridge.)

Then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (Mine needs to be turned on first, before adding the ice cream.


Peanut Butter Patty Ingredients:

6 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tbsp powdered sugar

Peanut Butter Patty Directions:
 
Mix together the peanut butter and sugar in a small bowl.  Line a dinner plate with plastic wrap.  Pinch off small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about ½ teaspoon each, and drop them onto the dinner plate.  Once you’ve used all of the mixture, freeze the patties.

Mixing them in: Fold the Peanut Butter Patties into 1 quart of ice cream as you remove it from the machine. (You can really see in the picture that cutting the recipe down results in a very small yield, but it's enough for me ... for now!)


Storage: Peanut Butter Patties can be stored in the freezer, well wrapped, for up to 1 month. (This is only in theory... everybody knows peanut butter doesn't survive long at my place!)





Thanks, Muse.  This is one for the success files!

2 comments:

  1. OM NOM NOM NOM.... I can't buy an ice cream maker for my kitchen aid... the results would be a disaster area around my waistline LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there is a reason I started walking with the half-marathon group, lol!

    ReplyDelete