Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Curried Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

I'm undecided about whether I want it to really be fall or not.  I enjoyed the weather the past month or so... it was nice during the day, and cool enough to sleep comfortably at night.  It's what I consider ideal weather :)  It's perfect for my morning half-marathon training, and still warm enough in the evening to sit outside for a meal with friends.

But fall setting in means beautiful turning leaves, nice hikes, and that I get to wear my sweaters again.  Maybe I'll finally find the time to finish knitting the Henley I started working on this summer...  Food-wise, I'm looking forward to fresh squash, pumpkins, cranberries, and apples!  I've got some MacIntosh apples coming my way later this week, and I've got a few ideas of what I'd like to do with them. 

I was recently gifted a delicious-looking butternut squash, which served as the inspiration for this next recipe.  It's squash, and apples, so creamy, comforting, and very fall-like, and it's a light recipe, so there's no guilt in second-servings :)  Be warned though, the recipe takes about an hour and a half to make, so don't try it if you're pressed for time!

Curried Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cups water
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped


Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F.  Line a baking pan with foil.  Cut squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds.  Place cut-side-down on baking pan and bake for 30-45 minutes until softened.  Let cool slightly, then scoop out flesh.
 Squash before baking / after being scooped out

In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for about five minutes, until translucent.  Stir in curry and cinnamon, and cook for another minute 'until fragrant'.  Add water, squash, and apple.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and let it cool for 10 - 15 minutes.

Using a blender, puree soup until smooth, about a minute or two on low.  For added smoothness, soup can be passed through a fine-mesh strainer.

 Yum!
(Note: If you want a really, really, creamy soup, use less water.)

Source: The Best of Clean Eating Magazine, p. 130.

No comments:

Post a Comment