Monday, September 12, 2011

High Energy Bars

I'm dusted.  Pooped! Exhausted :(  I had a busy week, a busy weekend, and the week coming up isn't any lighter.  So, what's a girl to do?  My answer, is bake!  Surprised? I think not ;)  Best part, it only takes 10 or 15 minutes to make them, so they fit into my schedule tonight.

I found these when I was flipping through magazines on the cardio machine at the gym.  They're natural, preservative-free energy bars.  I love that! It's natural energy without all the added junk.  Plus, if I make 'em my pre-gym or post-gym snack, on a hard-workout day, they're like freebies.

I'm a little in love with the versatility of the recipe too -- I had to tweak it a bit because I was out of some of the ingredients -- so mine's half almond butter and half peanut butter, instead of all peanut butter, and it's half almonds and half dates because that's what I had on hand.  It's still sticky, gooey, delicious :)

High Energy Bars
Makes: 16 servings

1 cup natural peanut butter (salt-free, sugar-free)
1 cup honey
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (uncooked rolled oats)
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Directions:
Combine peanut butter and honey in a large saucepan and melt over low heat until runny.
 Peanut butter and honey, before melting / dried ingredients before mixing

Mix in all dried ingredients, stirring until everything is well coated.

Line a 9x9-inch pan with waxed paper.  Press mixture into the pan and let cool.


Cut into 16 bars.

Source: Oxygen Magazine, Spring 2009
(For the record, I work out, but I'll never be that hardcore!)

No comments:

Post a Comment