Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lil' Cheddar Meat Loaves

I don't really know why, but for the last month or so, there's been a lot of talk in my circles about high school, and how things were way back when... In August, it was ten years since I moved away from home and started living on my own to go to my post-secondary studies.  It's got me thinking nostalgically, remembering the things I used to enjoy in high school: the music, the people, the food.  It's surprising how many things you forget, and it hasn't been that long, relatively.

I remembered at one point that my graduating class had chosen to do a cookbook as its fundraiser for the grad party.  And, sure enough, I have one copy left!  So, it seemed fitting that I'd make one of the recipes I'd enjoyed way back when.  This one's a recipe that truly feels like home.  It's one donated to the cookbook project by my 10th grade typing teacher, Mrs. Barbara Harris.

In true small-town style, this recipe is chock-full of cheese and ketchup.  As my dad says, "More cheese! Less healthy!"  Gotta love it!


Mrs. Harris' Lil' Cheddar Meat Loaves
Makes: 8 loaves

Loaf Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 lb. lean ground beef
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tsp salt

Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Directions:
 Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, beat the egg and milk.  Stir in cheese, oats, onion, and salt.  Add in the beef and mix well.  Shape into 8 loaves and place into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.

Combine ketchup, sugar, and mustard in a small bowl.  Spoon it over the loaves.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160F.
 

Source: Pontiac High School's Class of 2001 Cookbook, page 49.

No comments:

Post a Comment