Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pumpkin Ice Cream

I mentioned already I've got pumpkin on the brain lately, and today was this nice, warm, beautiful day, so today, I'm calling it a great excuse to show you the latest recipe to get a spin in my new toy: pumpkin ice cream.  I had a lot of options, some incredibly complex, some with alcohol, some that just plain sounded like more work than they'd be worth.  I had leftover canned pumpkin to use up, and a small time constraint to work with, so the simple recipe wins this time.

The last time I made ice cream, I was on the fence (and still am!) about whether it was better before or after it ripened in the freezer.  This one, I'm calling in my verdict.  For pumpkin ice cream, I like it best fresh out of the machine.  It's still good after ripening in the freezer for two hours, but there's something about the texture when it's fresher that suits me better.  Maybe I'll need to get a second opinion?

I've got a few more pumpkin recipes up my sleeve, but I'll wait a bit to make them so I don't go into pumpkin overdose.  Although honestly, I don't know if that's possible. :)  Maybe I'll find a use for the nutella I got in the mail yesterday.  Hmm.

Pumpkin Ice Cream
Makes: 14 1/2-cup servings, approximately

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy (whipping/35%) cream
1 cup milk
1 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

In the base of an electric stand mixer, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and the milk and whisk to blend. 

Pour about 1 cup of the cream base into another bowl, add the pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and stir until blended.  
Return the pumpkin mixture to the remaining cream base and blend.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

 Just added in the machine...
... half-way done...
 Finished! Look how much it expanded!
Yum!  Ready for ripening... or just eating straight away :)

Source: Annie's Eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment