Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chewy Butterscotch Brownies

Remember when I said not everything I make turns out as expected? ... Yeah, I've got one for you.  I needed a cake for my last cake decorating class.  I'm supposed to bring it to class iced, ready to go.  So I was dreaming up ideas, and realized that I had some butterscotch chips leftover from a project a while ago.  So why not make a brownie cake, instead of a regular cake?  That could be fun, right?  I found this great recipe, made it up, had this yummy looking and yummy smelling butterscotch brownie right out of the oven.  I cooled it the ten minutes they recommend for cakes, and flipped it over to release it, and the darned thing split on me.  It's in two pieces, the top came off, and the edges stuck to the bottom!  What's a girl to do?

I decided to tear it all up and stick it in a freezer bag for now.  It'll make a great stir-in for an ice cream batch in the future.  Mmm butterscotch-blondie ice cream :)  A delicious mistake for sure!

Chewy Butterscotch Brownies
Makes: 2 brownies in 8-inch cake pans

Ingredients: 
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp sea salt 
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 
1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar 
1 tbsp vanilla extract 
2 large eggs 
1 cup butterscotch chips 
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Combine flour, baking powder and sea salt in a medium bowl.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs.
Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chips and nuts (I omitted them because there are kids in my class, and I don't know about allergies). Spread into ungreased baking pans.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.  
Enjoy!
Source: adapted from Nestle Toll House.

No comments:

Post a Comment