Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chocolate Layer Cake

In light of all the junk food that comes with the month of October, I have a feeling November will be more of a health kick.  However, since it's still October, I'm posting more cake!  For my final project in my cake decorating course, we were asked to plan out a design for a cake using skills we'd learned in class.  Given my apparent lack of talent with the flowers, and our current proximity to Halloween, I decided I wanted a festive cake.

The first cake I made for my course was red velvet.  It was good, but I wanted something a little different this time.  I tried a butterscotch brownie, but well, that didn't go so well... so I started looking for another option, and stumbled on this one.  Perfect!  Minus the icing, it's perfect for my class assignment.

Chocolate Layer Cake
Makes: 2 8-inch cakes

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/2 cups milk soured with 1 tbsp lemon juice)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease two 8-inch round metal cake pans (can line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper). Set aside.

In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
With wooden spoon, stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk. Spoon into prepared pans, smoothing tops.

Bake in centre of 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Let cool on racks for 20 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks.



Source: Canadian Living  

No comments:

Post a Comment