Monday, October 10, 2011

Seafood Lasagna

My family and I ate our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  So, today's statutory holiday was a plain-old day off from work for me.  It's been a catch-up day, largely going after errands that have been on my list for whenever I get a spare minute, or nice weather, or both.  Actually I kind of wish tomorrow was a day off too, just so I could have a relaxation day... but that's another story.  Probably I'd just find other chores to do, haha.

After the big turkey dinner yesterday, I was trying to think up what I could make for meals this week.  I'm planning a turkey wrap for tomorrow's lunch, but really, for me, turkey twice in a week is enough.

I started looking through my recipes, and found a relatively simple one I can make with things that are more-or-less normally found in my pantry and fridge.  The one exception: crab meat.  I had one can (probably bought when it was on sale) instead of the two required for the recipe.  But really, I don't think it shows.  I just stuck in more shrimp!

I decided to try a little experiment with it, too.  I had had a friend tell me a while ago she doesn't pre-cook her lasagna noodles -- she just sticks 'em in dry when she's putting together the layers, and they soften up while it's baking.  I didn't think it'd work.  Really, I didn't.  Why else would every lasagna recipe tell you to pre-cook (to soften up) your noodles?

But, turns out, so long as you really coat the top layer, the noodles soften up!... I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, or that I'd always use this cheat, but if you're in a hurry, go for it.

Seafood Lasagna
Makes: 12 small servings (says the recipe) or 6-8 medium / large pieces

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour (I used whole-wheat)
3 cups milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 300 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
1/8 tsp nutmeg
9 lasagne noodles, cooked, drained (I used whole wheat, uncooked)
1/2 lb (225 g) cooked cleaned medium shrimp (I used 3/4 lb small shrimp)
2 cans (120 g each) crabmeat, drained, flaked (I used 1)
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; simmer on low heat 3 to 5 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan; set aside.

Mix spinach, cottage cheese, 2/3 cup mozzarella and nutmeg.

Spread 2/3 cup Parmesan sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch pan. Cover with 3 lasagne noodles and layers of half each of the shrimp, crabmeat and spinach mixture; top 2/3 cup of the remaining Parmesan sauce.

Repeat layers, starting with noodles. Top with remaining noodles, Parmesan sauce and mozzarella; cover.

Bake 45 min. or until heated through, uncovering after 25 min.

Let stand 10 min. before cutting to serve.
After baking: Before/after sitting out for 10 minutes

SourceKraft Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment