Saturday, October 29, 2011

Wilton Chocolate Buttercream Icing

 Earlier this week, I posted the chocolate cake that will be the base of my final cake decorating class project.  Today, I'm offering up the icing I used to frost my cake.  It's basic Wilton buttercream decorating icing, but chocolate instead of plain vanilla, because I wanted to tint it for my cake design.  The dye is very potent stuff! You don't need much to dye the frosting whatever colour you choose.  Plus, it gets darker the longer it sits, so sometimes it'll surprise you.

Wilton Chocolate Buttercream Icing
Makes: 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup solid white vegetable shortening, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
7-8 tsp plus 1-2 Tbsp water, separated
1 lb powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
1 Tbsp meringue powder
3/4 cup cocoa

Directions:
Cream shortening, vanilla, and water on low speed of hand-held electric mixer.  Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together, adding the additional 1-2 Tbsp water as needed to incorporate all powdered sugar.  Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.
Last step -- dye the icing black for my final cake class project!  Very Halloweeny, huh?
Source: Wilton Lesson Plan - Decorating Basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment