Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wilton Red Velvet Cake

This week, my Wilton class is going to ice and decorate a cake.  Something about transferring an image onto the cake.  If I remember, it's between a cupcake, a fish, and a hamburger design.  We were instructed to bring a cake layer, 8-inch, any kind.  I contemplated chocolate, since that's what the teacher made last week, or just plain old white or yellow cake, but then, alas, I was out of ingredients.  I usually have everything I need on hand because I usually have a very well stocked pantry and fridge.  But, since I yesterday was a holiday, and I did some baking yesterday ( a fail, for the record ) I was out of certain ingredients that are required for a chocolate or yellow cake.

So I googled, and googled, and stumbled upon a Wilton recipe, of all things, for red velvet cake.  Yum!  And what would be so perfect for decorating, than a bright red cake?!  My icing is white, so it's perfect -- it'll show if I miss a spot, so I'm sure to get it all iced.  Sweet! 

The recipe's easy to make.  And all minus the buttermilk was already in my stock.  I fudged the buttermilk using leftover cream and a tablespoon of lemon juice to sour it.  So it's a little thicker (and I would assume denser) than it should be.  But hey, that probably makes it easier to ice, no?  Guess I'll soon see.

Wilton Red Velvet Cake
Makes: 1 8-inch cake & 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
2 cups whole-wheat white flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup buttermilk*
1 tbsp red icing colour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp white vinegar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-inch pan with cake release or butter.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt; set aside.
In large bowl or electric mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and red icing color; mix well. 
Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir baking soda into vinegar and fold carefully into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks. Cool completely.

Repeat for cupcakes, giving 20 minutes baking time.
 Red, red, red!

Enjoy!

Notes:
  • It was Terra Cotta that I had, not Wilton's red, so my cake & cupcakes are slightly orange.
  • Also, I'm a little in love with the Bake-Even strips I bought -- see 'em wrapped around the cake pan's base? They made the cake come out flat and even, instead of domed and cracked.  Love it!
  • Lastly, the reason the cake's on parchment is so that it doesn't sink into the cooling grate and get stuck to it, or get lines in it.  It's a trick I learned in class last week.

Source: Wilton.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment