Sunday, October 2, 2011

Wilton Roll-Out Cookies

I had a pretty amazing weekend.  I went to Montreal to visit my little sister, and do a day trip with some of her friends.  We went to a miellerie and went zip-lining.  It was 5 degrees, and raining, and we all still went.  I was so frozen I thought for sure I'd be sick today, but aside from being cold, I'm okay so far, *knock on wood*.  The obstacle course was crazy!  It's normally challenging if you're not good with heights, but add frozen fingers and very slippery conditions to the mix, and it's a real challenge.  We all survived though, and it was a pretty good time :)

To warm up, we went to Tim Horton's and had some hot chocolate.  I had to have another one once I got home, and a long, HOT shower.  It's really too bad it was raining and foggy though, because the view from the mountain was so beautiful with the changing leaves and the bug-free wilderness.  I'm glad I went!

Today was a recovery day.  I vegged out with the book I've been meaning to finish forever, and didn't really do any real chores.  The only to-do list thing I did today was bake these cookies for my Wilton course.  I'm taking the course once a week all through October.  I plan to do the others when they come up later on over the winter.  All in all, it's been a great day... easy to ignore the rain and cold outside.

Roll-Out Cookies
Makes: approximately 24 2-inch cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups white whole-wheat flour

Directions:
 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg and vanilla.

Mix together baking powder and flour.

Add little-by-little to the butter mixture.*

Do not chill dough!  Divide dough into two portions.**

On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a circle approximately 12 inches in diameter, and 1/8 inch thick.

Cut into 12 cookies and place on a ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 6-7 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.  I guess my portion wasn't even, I ended up with 15, instead of 12 for this ball!

Note:
*If dough is too stiff, beat by hand.  If it's too stiff to beat in all flour, add water, a teaspoon at a time to soften it up.
** Second dough ball can be frozen for later use.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap then store in a freezer bag.  Let it thaw completely and soften on counter-top to room temperature, then roll, cut, and bake as usual.

Source: adapted from Wilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment