Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Black Bean Soup with Lime

I'm almost afraid to say so, but I might have just finished my Christmas shopping tonight.  I say might because sometimes I see something when I'm out that just needs to be given to somebody in my life, and well, you can't plan for inspiration.  But, out of my planned shopping, I can stop as of tonight.  The rest of my gifts are homemade, because I think they say more that way.

In light of tonight being a shopping night, I'm blogging late.  Saved by the slow cooker, I guess.  The recipe I'm posting tonight is actually one I did up last week during my slow cooker kick but didn't have an opportunity to post it until now.  So, here, squeaked in before I call it a night, is a treat!  I really, really enjoyed this recipe.  It's creamy, warm, and has a delicious spice kick to make it anything but bland.  It'll be on my repeat list for sure!

Black Bean Soup with Lime
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans (low-sodium), undrained
1 can (14 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 medium lime, cut into wedges

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker except for the lime. 
Cover and cook for 7 hours on LOW or 3 1/2 hours on HIGH or until onions are very soft.
 Process 1 cup of soup in a blender until smooth and return it to slow cooker. (I did this with an immersion blender.)
 Let soup stand 15 - 20 minutes before serving.
 Divide soup into 4 bowls and top with juice from lime wedge.

Source: Crock Pot - The Original Slow Cooker - Recipe Collection p. 64

No comments:

Post a Comment