Monday, November 21, 2011

Lemon Artichoke Chicken

Aside from baking a pie, and making cookies, (neither of which I ate!) I've been experimenting with non-dessert recipes in November.  Part of this is that I had made a lot of cakes in October, and I know I'll be making a lot more in December and January when I have the second and third cake courses.  That, on top of all the normal, ritual, holiday baking... In light of that I've been making an effort to go after my savory, main-course recipe wish list, rather than my dessert one.

A lot of my recipes come from other blogs, and, surprisingly, I have to admit, have been a bit of a letdown.  I've got a sweet tooth -- it's hard for me to get excited over some of these recipes.  Some don't look very nice, some were bland, some just didn't speak to me...  This one tonight didn't even have a picture.  I took a risk with it. I didn't have high hopes; I don't normally like artichoke.  But I figured it'd get me out of the same-old-same-old rut, so I tried it anyhow.  And I can tell you I'm glad I did! I was impressed with this one.  It's got a bit of sweet, a bit of sour, a little crunch, some chewy, and it's good for you!  What could beat that?  Get off your chair and make this one tonight !!

Lemon Artichoke Chicken
Makes:  4 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 pound thin chicken breast cutlets
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14-oz) jar artichoke hearts, in water, drained and cut into sixths
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
parsley for garnish (optional)

Directions:
In a shallow bowl or plate, combine flour, oregano, pepper and salt.  Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.  Place on another plate until ready to cook.

Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium to medium-high heat.  Add chicken cutlets and cook 3-5 minutes per side until cooked through. (I had to cook longer because my chicken wasn't thin enough).  Transfer chicken to a clean serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Remove any excess flour from skillet.  Reduce heat to medium-low and heat oil.  Place onion in pan and cook, stirring frequently about 5-6 minutes until onion is soft and golden.  Add garlic, cooking one minute, stirring constantly.  Add broth bringing it to a simmer, followed by artichokes, lemon juice and zest.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes until heated through and sauce starts to thicken.  Season to taste with additional sea salt and pepper (optional).
Serve by pouring artichoke sauce over chicken cutlet.  Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

Enjoy!
Source: Best of Clean Eating Magazine, page 35.

1 comment: