Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mushroom and Beef Stew

Another slow cooker installment!  Today was the last day of warm before the cold sets in.  I've been really enjoying the warmer-than-normal weather we've been having... I don't know that I'm ready to give it up yet!  I know, I know, we normally have snow by now, but I'm not ready.  Too bad I don't have the power to control it.

Today's meal is a new one for me.  It's beef stew with mushrooms.  I thought it would round out my slow cooker supper set quite well.  Chili, lentils, beans, and beef.  The Crock Pot book is really showing off its value.  I've loved each and every recipe I've made out of it so far.

This stew took a little longer on prep time than the soups, but mostly because I had to thaw and trim the meat instead of just chopping vegetables.  I did all the prep work at night before going to bed, so the recipe was ready for breakfast-time instead of trying to squeeze all of that work into my morning routine.  It was neat to wake up to a supper smell, and a little strange to not eat the stew right away.  Instead, I divided up the portions saving one for supper.  The rest went into the freezer for workday lunches.

Mushroom Beef Stew
Makes: 5 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef stew, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium red potatoes, diced
1 small white onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced

Directions:
Place beef in slow cooker.  Mix together flour, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over beef.  Stir to coat each piece of beef with flour.
 Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well.
Cover; cook on LOW 10 to 12 hours, or HIGH 4 to 6 hours. 
Stir stew before serving. (I actually don't have a picture of the final result... I was in too much of a hurry, I guess!)

Enjoy!

Source: slightly adapted from Crock Pot - The Original Slow Cooker - Recipe Collection p. 98.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex! I found your blog on BlogHer and just want to say that your photos look amazing + your food super delicious. :) I'm going to have to try some of your recipes sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna! Please let me know how they turn out :)

    ReplyDelete