Sunday, November 13, 2011

Raspberry Pie

For my friend John's birthday, he asked me to make him a raspberry pie.  I was delighted! I haven't had much experience with real pies, and this would be a great opportunity to learn.  I've made many pies using graham crumbs, or crumble crumbs, but this would be a real pie, with real crust.  So I hit my books looking for ideas.

For John, I thought it'd be better to stick to traditional pie because he told me it was his favourite.  Because of that, I knew something like this, although yummy-looking and very tempting, wouldn't suit.  I'm sure it's delicious, but it's not the real deal.  And when you've been looking forward to something, you want the real deal, not a fancy substitute.  There may be a fancy substitute in the future, but because I had a custom order to fill, I started looking for a real, traditional recipe for raspberry pie.

Funny thing, there isn't one.  There are raspberry tarts, and tartlettes, and blueberry pies, and mixed-berry pies, but in all my fancy baking books, there isn't a raspberry pie.  The closest I came, was the recipe I selected, which really is just plain-old generic "berry pie".  Note to self: if I ever write a cookbook, generic Raspberry Pie is going in it!

So, for John, I offer up Raspberry Pie.  Enjoy!

Raspberry Pie
Makes: 1 9-inch pie

Ingredients:
1 double-crust pie crust recipe**

5 cups frozen raspberries (approx. 2 600 gram bags)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp lemon zest

Directions:

Thaw frozen berries about 45 minutes if using straight from freezer.  If using fresh berries, skip this step.

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a large bowl mix together the sugar, flour, and lemon.  Add the berries and toss to coat.
 Transfer the berry mixture to the prepared pie crust.  Lightly wet edges of bottom crust and top with second crust, pinching to create a seal.  Vent top crust with a few fork holes.
  Top pie with a pie crust shield (or tin foil) to protect edges from over-browning.
Bake pie for 50 minutes, remove the pie crust shield, and bake an additional 30 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden.
 Cool on a wire rack.


** One small confession: I didn't make the crust.  I know! I know! Shame on me... but I really wanted to make a pie John would like because birthday pie isn't just any-old-day pie, so I cheated, and Tenderflake gets the credit for this one.


Source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, page 437.


********************
Added 8:00 PM
I just got word from John -- the pie achieved its objective -- he loves it!  I'm a happy baker today!

No comments:

Post a Comment