Saturday, November 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Porridge

A few weeks back I posted a recipe for baked oatmeal I'd made for breakfast.  I mentioned at the same time that it wasn't my stand-by recipe.  This one actually is.  It's flexible, filling, and really once you've stocked up on the basic ingredients, it doesn't take any time at all to put together.  I've switched up the dried fruits, experimented with different spices, added buckwheat kasha, really just used whatever was on hand.  The recipe has yet to disappoint.  And, the biggest perk for me is that I can prep it the night before and it's ready for breakfast.  I divide up the leftovers into single-serving containers and freeze whatever I won't eat in the next day or so.  That way I've got lots of variety in my breakfasts and no excuse not to eat a healthy breakfast.

One thing to note is that the recipe really, really means it when it instructs you to set the slow cooker at the lowest temperature setting.  On mine, it's the 'Keep Warm' setting.  Setting it to 'Low' overnight overdid it.  If you don't know with yours, you might be best to try it out during the day on a weekend, and check it half-way through the day to make sure it's not drying out.

Slow Cooker Porridge
Makes: 8 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cracked wheat
1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
1/2 cup rye flakes
1/2 cup brown rice (or buckwheat kasha)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup milk
6 cups water
1/2 cup raisins (or dried apricots)
1/2 cup chopped dates (or dried currants)
1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker.
 Cook on lowest setting overnight.

 Stir and serve.
Enjoy!

Source: slightly adapted from The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment