Monday, November 7, 2011

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

Today I made another old stand-by.  Shepherd's pie.  But, with a few personal touches:  it's made with sweet potato (to eliminate the need for cream or butter in the mashed potatoes), and some beef from my parents' farm.   Yum!

This recipe is one of my easiest work-day meals, and has yet to turn out poorly.  I mix it up -- sometimes it's regular potatoes, sometimes skin-on, others not.  Sometimes it's peas in place of corn.  Sometimes it's creamed corn, other times not.  Depends on what's in my cupboard.  Sometimes I add in some herbes de Provence in the potatoes.  Whatever inspiration hits.  It's a cinch, and it's start-to-table in less than an hour.

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Makes: 5 - 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 can corn (whatever kind you like)
1 large sweet potato
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp sage
1 clove garlic (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Boil your sweet potato.  Drain and mash.
Brown the beef, adding in spices, salt, and garlic.
Layer the beef, corn, and potatoes in a casserole dish.  Bake 20 - 30 minutes, until heated through.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment