Sunday, December 18, 2011

Butterscotch Ice Cream

Last week was my mother's birthday.  Mom, being a typical mom, asked for a typically non-selfish gift.  She asked for new flannel bedsheets for their bed.  Not very exciting, but practical, and shared.  I tried to bring her something a little more exciting, despite the fact that she'd be sharing it.  I found a mouthwateringly delicious-sounding recipe from The Perfect Scoop with my brownies-gone-bad from a while ago.  They're not really bad, just not solid enough to be used as cake-base.  Maybe the next time I make them I'll line the pan with parchment and see if that helps?

This recipe I made a couple of weeks ahead of needing it for Mom's birthday, but being ice cream, it stood up quite well.  It survived beautifully in my freezer!  ... I doubt I can say the same for Mom's!  In a little over a week, we'll all be gathered together enjoying Christmas dinner at the farm, with the goodies left over from my at-work Christmas cookie exchange a few weeks ago and all the other Christmas fixings.

Oh! I forgot to tell you: even though I've been saying all year I didn't think I'd get a tree (cats couldn't handle it, I thought) I did get a tree this year and knock on wood it's surviving quite well!  They were curious about it the first day, but since then aside from one ball being banged around a bit in the night, the tree's virtually being ignored.  I'm almost tempted to put my wrapped gifts underneath it... almost!

Butterscotch Ice Cream with Butterscotch Brownie Bits
Makes: about 1 1/4 quarts

Ingredients:
5 Tbsp unsalted butter (70g)
3/4 cup Sucanat
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp scotch whiskey

Directions:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the Sucanat and sea salt.
Stir in 1 cup of the heavy cream, and the whole milk.
Pour the remaining 1 cup of cream in a mixing bowl with a fine mesh sieve set over the top.

Place the egg yolks in a separate medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.
Whisking constantly, slowly add the warm sugar-cream mixture to the egg yolks to temper. Continue until all of the liquid has been incorporated.
Return the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat.
Continue to heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches 170-175˚ F on an instant-read thermometer. 
Immediately remove from the heat and pour through the sieve and into the bowl with the cream.
Stir in the vanilla.
Cover the bowl and transfer to the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. (To speed chilling, stir over an ice bath.)

Once the mixture is completely chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions, gently folding in the brownie bits at the end until evenly incorporated.
 Transfer to a freezer-safe container.
Freeze until firm.

Enjoy!

Source(s): slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop, Crumbs and Cookies.

***************************
One small addition...  Can you see where my cat is hiding?

No comments:

Post a Comment