Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chicken Almondine

I made an absolute delight tonight.  I even surprised myself with how good it was!   I picked it thinking it would be a ho-hum easy dinner for a Sunday night.  I was hoping for an easy meal to finish up the weekend of baking and cleaning.  I've been preparing for two work events this week:  a cookie exchange and a bake sale.  What a surprise I got with this one!

I love it when recipes turn out better than I expect.  This one's easily going to be added to my regular rotation because the whole thing whips up quickly and requires only a few ingredients that I typically have around home.  The only thing I have to remember to do is defrost my chicken breasts... see, easy-peasy.

This meal was a nice finish to my weekend.  I cleaned, vacuumed, did my laundry, cooked supper, and hung out this afternoon listening to the new Eli Young Band album (check out the Falling)... really, just a cozy, relaxed finish to my weekend.  Just perfection!  Enjoy :)

Chicken Almondine
Makes: 3 or 4 servings

Ingredients:
1/8 cup slivered unsalted almonds
1/8 cup ground almonds
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp paprika
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, divided into 3 or 4 pieces (pounded thin works best)
olive oil cooking spray
1 lb fresh green beans
2-3 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
Mix together the ground almonds, whole wheat flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in a flat, shallow dish.  Dredge chicken breasts in the mixture and set aside.

Boil water and steam the green beans.

Heat a skillet on medium-high heat.  Add the oil, then the chicken.  Turn the chicken after a few minutes and cook until no longer pink in the middle.
 Beans and chicken should be ready close to the same time.  
 Remove the beans from the heat and mix together with the lemon juice and zest.
Serve beans and chicken together, topped with remaining almonds.
Enjoy!

Source:  Best of Clean Eating Magazine, page 69.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you've been trying so many Clean recipes lately. Way to go.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the cookbooks based from the magazines, and I'm really loving them! There's lots of great recipes in them, and the majority of the ingredients aren't hard to find.
    Merry Christmas Helen :)

    ReplyDelete