Friday, December 30, 2011

Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Apple and Pear

I would like to share with you two of the Christmas gifts I received this year.  The first, has to go on record as one of the worst Christmas gifts I've ever gotten!  My family drew names this year, and my father got me.  Among the gifts I got from him that I did enjoy, he also gave me his cold.  I haven't been sick in over a year, so I was a little cocky... I thought I'd be fine -- my immune system's usually pretty strong, so I thought I'd brush this one off.  Not so much.  I spent all day yesterday in my pyjamas and only was out of bed maybe an hour or so.  Today I'm feeling as if I'm coming out of the fog, but I'm still nowhere near normal.  On the plus side, it means I didn't have to work this week!

In contrast to that, I was planning on blogging to show you one of the gifts I had received that I did enjoy.  My coworker, Pam, made each of us homemade cranberry sauce in jars with cute little labels on them with the recipe.  Pam has a small business called Little Prints, making labels for chocolates, Christmas gifts, gift tags, things like that.

I love this gift!  Not only am I touched to be thought of, but this cranberry sauce is delicious!  And with the recipe, I can easily repeat it to make more later.  Can you say perfect?!  I was thrilled!  It almost makes up for the lost days with this cold!  Although, in all fairness, Dad did get sick too, so I can't complain too much.

Cranberry Sauce with Apple and Pear
Makes: ?

Ingredients:
5 3-inch cinnamon sticks
8 whole allspice berries
8 whole cloves
6 cups fresh cranberries 
2 1/4 cups orange juice
4 Gala apples, peeled and diced
4 Bosc pears, peeled and diced
3 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Directions:
Place cinnamon, allspice and cloves into a cheesecloth sachet.  Place sachet into a large saucepan with cranberries and orange juice.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until berries begin to burst, about 10 minutes.
Stir in apples, pears, and sugars.  Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 25 minutes until apples and pears are slightly soft. Remove sachet.

Chill in bowl overnight or store in jars.

Serve cold.

Enjoy!
 Source: Pam Tripp, Little Prints, Ottawa, Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment