Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Green Bean and Potato Salad

Today was the first day back in the swing of my normal routine.  A go to work, go to the gym day.  After living on a totally random, mostly sickness-dictated eat/sleep/live schedule the past week or so, I was expecting today would be more of a drag... but nope, today was a great day!  I had a productive work day, had a nice visit with some of my coworkers about their time off (only about half are back this week), and faced the gym.  Really it's the gym I was most worried about -- I mean really, the gym in January?!  But I guess I got lucky, because while it was busier than usual when I went, it wasn't unbearable, or excessively competitive for machines.  I put in a good effort, and feel better for it.   Three cheers to great days!!

Supper tonight wasn't all that interesting -- I was expecting to be brain-dead -- so it was just roasted fish with this side dish.  It is pretty quick to throw together, doesn't require anything different from what I'd normally have on hand, and tastes great.  It's an easy one to throw into the rotation.

Green Bean and Potato Salad
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2/3 pound redskin potatoes, (about 4 potatoes), scrubbed well and diced
1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp minced red onion
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
dash sea salt and ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Fill a pot with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket.  Add potatoes to steamer basket and bring water to a boil.  Cover and steam for10 minutes.  Add beans, cover and steam for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, Dijon, thyme, onion, salt, and pepper.

Transfer potatoes and beans to a large bowl and toss with vinegar mixture.  Add parsley and mix to combine.
Enjoy!

Source: Clean Eating Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012, page 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment