Monday, January 16, 2012

Lemon Paprika Shrimp with couscous

My cupboards are bare.  My fridge is empty.  It's kind of embarrassing... It's really unlike me.  But it's been cold, and I've been busy, and ... yeah, I didn't shop.  Trying new recipes gets harder that way!

It's been cold.  Really cold.  Cold enough my snowshoeing was cancelled.  Cold enough my weekly walks were cancelled!  Crazy, huh? But, luckily, this means the canal's open! I'm looking forward to a good, long skate and a Beavertail and a hot chocolate at the end.  It's nearly Winterlude time.  There's snow on the ground, and I still haven't been out snowshoeing in Gatineau Park.  This must be remedied! 

To get around the urge to hibernate, I cooked something a little unseasonal tonight.  It's easy, and only required that I buy zucchini.  Despite my empty cupboards and fridge, I actually had everything else on hand.

Lemon Paprika Shrimp with zucchini and couscous
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1 lemon, halved, divided
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp paprika
2 baby zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
1 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Cook couscous according to package directions, fluff with fork, cover, and set aside.
Thinly slice half of lemon and place in a plastic resealable bag.  Add shrimp, oil, paprika, salt, and pepper to bag and shake to combine.
Bring a quarter-cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, add zucchini and steam until tender, two minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Pour shrimp mixture (excluding lemon) into skillet, spread in a single layer and cook for two minutes per side until shrimp starts to curl.  Add juice from remaining half lemon and toss to combine.
Mound couscous on a large serving platter, top with zucchini, shrimp, lemon slices, and any juices from pan.  Serve immediately.
Enjoy!

Source: Best of Clean Eating Magazine page 113.

No comments:

Post a Comment