Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chocolate Ice Cream

For my middle-sister's birthday, I was commissioned to make two things: chocolate ice cream, and Nanaimo bars.  Both of which I did make, on time.  And then never posted, oops!  I could make excuses about being busy, but that gets old fast, right? So, instead, I bring you: chocolate ice cream!  Whoo hoo!

This one was fairly easy, but took longer and had a few more steps than the other ice creams I've made.  But based on how quickly the container was returned, it's one of the most popular.  The only problem I had with it, (I shamefully confess) is I mixed up the amount of unsweetened chocolate I added in.  The recipe calls for 6 ounces, and I only put three!  I switched to a new brand of chocolate, and I assumed it was like my standard one -- one square is one ounce.  But nope, this new brand is only a half-ounce per square, and I guess I was just too focused on getting everything ready to really notice that it looked like an off amount of chocolate.  The recipe turned out quite sweet because of this, but it's still good.  I may even have to make it again, just to be sure!  ... maybe with mint extract, instead of vanilla?

Chocolate Ice Cream
Makes: about 1 quart

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups heavy cream
6 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup sugar (I subbed with Sucanat)
pinch of (sea) salt
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped (or 3 oz, if you're like me)
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Chop your chocolate -- this is where my recipe went off script.
 Whisk together cream, cocoa powder, sugar/Sucanat, and salt in a large saucepan.  Heat the mixture, stirring frequently until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up.)

Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate until it's completely melted, then whisk in the milk and vanilla.

Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until very smooth.
 Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (may take a few hours), then freeze it in an ice cream maker.

Enjoy! You know we did!

Source: slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop, page 28. 

No comments:

Post a Comment