Monday, March 5, 2012

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Before Christmas, I asked a friend of mine what I could make him for a gift.  Since he is usually a big fan of my baked treats, and a happy supporter of my baking (he gets me the white whole wheat flour when he visits the States), I was happy to make him whatever he suggested.  What he suggested was bubble gum ice cream.

I happily accepted, and happily created the sticky, ooey, gooey mess that eventually ruined one of my strainers.  Good thing it was only a Dollar Store one!  I ended up putting my pot in the freezer for a few hours to make the gum hard enough to break off the non-stick surface.  Otherwise, that pot probably would've ended up in the garbage with the discount strainer.  So, yes, I had fun making this one, and yes my friend enjoyed it, but realistically, I don't see myself making this one again anytime soon.

I did make this in time for him for Christmas... I was just shy to post it.  But really, it did turn out as it was supposed to, despite ruining some kitchenware.

Bubble Gum Ice Cream
Makes: about 1 quart

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
5 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
70 grams bubble gum, chopped
optional pink or red food dye

Directions:
Mix the cream and milk in a saucepan.  Bring it to a boil, then remove from heat.
 Add chopped bubble gum to milk mixture, and let stand 10 minutes to let the flavour seep in.
Drain the mixture to a medium bowl, and discard the bubble gum (and strainer, as I found out!)
Combine the eggs and sugar until fluffy, then beat into milk mixture.
Heat mixture on stove until it reaches 100 degrees or thickens.  Stir constantly to prevent boiling.  Stir in dye if using.
Cool the mixture and freeze it in ice cream maker, approximately 25 minutes or until done (following manufacturer directions.)
 Enjoy!
Source:  Chow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment