Friday, March 9, 2012

Cranberry Pumpkin Energy Bars

I have some leftover pumpkin.  It was from a can, and it's been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to use it up... such is the after life of leftovers from recipes.  So I started googling.  What can I do with a little canned pumpkin?  Not enough for much, I suppose, but then I found these.  I've got enough to make the recipe twice, if I wanted to.

It's easy, and with a few small adjustments, I made it quicker.  It's not overly sweet, and sticks together well which makes it good for a walking snack.  My group did 16k last weekend, and I expect tomorrow we'll get in another good distance.

Cranberry Pumpkin Energy Bars
Makes: 12 bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw chopped almonds
1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
1/4 unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
3 oz extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Pinch of ground clove (optional)
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 large egg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Toast the nuts and coconut for 6 - 7 minutes, checking periodically to avoid burning them.
At the same time, melt together the coconut oil and pumpkin.  Once melted, stir in the egg, then add the vanilla, syrup, spices, and salt and mix.  Add in the chopped toasted nuts and coconut and mix well.
Turn the oven heat down to 325 F.
Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and spread out the bar mixture.  Bake the bars for 20 - 25 minutes.
Let the bars cool completely before slicing into 12 pieces.
Bars can be kept in the fridge or freezer.

Enjoy!

Source: adapted from Fallon's Cucina.

No comments:

Post a Comment