Monday, April 9, 2012

(Deviled) Easter Eggs

I hosted Easter dinner with family yesterday.  I wanted to decorate eggs for Easter, and decided what better to do with my hard boiled eggs when I was finished, than make deviled eggs for the dinner.  Sounds like a good idea, right? No waste, no worries... right.  Except I forgot -- when it comes to food, my family is a bunch of picky eaters.

In the past, I've seen my father turn down cookies he really likes because they had been food-dyed green.  I've seen "new" things (like fondant) be separated from "familiar" things (like chocolate cake) in order to be eaten.  So, really I guess I should've known better.  But how does one not fall in love with an idea like these & these!

I thought that if I made something familiar like deviled eggs, and used the Cook's Illustrated, time-tested, "classic" recipe that the eggs would pass family inspection.  They didn't.  But, it meant more for me, so really, should I complain? I'll have fun snacks for work all week.  Win-win?

Listen to me going on and on, when what you really want to see are the eggs, right?

(Deviled) Easter Eggs & Dying Tutorial
Makes: 6 whole / 12 deviled eggs

Ingredients:
dyed eggs
6 hard-boiled eggs
various colours food dye gel

deviled eggs
3 Tbsp mayonnaise (I used plain Greek yogurt)
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
3/4 tsp whole grain mustard
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
For cracked Easter eggs
Hard boil eggs as usual.

Dissolve a small amount of food dye gel in 1/2 - 3/4 mug of cold water, and soak one - two eggs per mug for several minutes to give them some initial colour.  It is recommended to use dark-coloured mugs so that any accidental permanent dye stains will not be noticeable.

Remove eggs from mugs and dry off with paper towels.  Gently crack eggs without piercing the membrane or egg underneath.
Take each cracked egg and place back into the mugs.  You can mix up the colours if you wish.
Soak eggs in cold, dyed water for 7 hours or over night in the fridge.
Remove eggs from the mugs again, and peel to reveal their secret design.
Source: inspiration from Barefoot Kitchen Witch 

For deviled eggs
Slice open hard-boiled eggs to create two even halves.  Remove the hard yolks gently into your mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and mix together until you reach a smooth consistency.

Scrape mixture out of bowl into a pastry bag fitted with a star attachment.  Pipe into egg whites and arrange on a serving plate.  If not serving immediately, cover and store in the fridge.
Enjoy! (Hopefully yours will get better reception than mine!!)

Source: adapted from Cook's Illustrated.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea. They came out positively gorgeous, better than usually colored eggs. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete