Friday, April 27, 2012

High-Fibre Bean Dip

Ever get a case of the weekday blahs?  That's how I'm starting to feel toward my work day snack.  I usually have a vegetable of some sort, and a nut butter, mid afternoon.  But celery and almond butter only cut it for so long, right?  I tried a few variations... like bringing the nuts themselves, or making some granola, or various bars... but they just aren't speaking to me lately.

So where to turn when I'm all out of healthy options?  Well, to my Clean Eating stash of cookbooks, of course!  I looked, thinking maybe a quiche would do?  It'd give me a little something to chew... Or maybe some healthy cookies?  In searching, I found this bean dip, and with the spice kick that comes with it, it just might be enough to bust me out of my snack rut.  Best part, you can make it with whatever you have on hand.  I swapped a few ingredients and it's still great!  Three cheers for that!

Happy Friday!

High-Fibre Bean Dip
Makes: 36 1 Tbsp servings, approximately

Ingredients:
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used black beans)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch sea salt and black pepper

Directions:
Blend everything in a food processor until desired consistency is reached.  
Transfer to a container with a lid, or a bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to eat.

Tips from the cookbook: You can enjoy this dip with bread, veggies, in wraps, or on grilled chicken for a change of flavour.
Enjoy!

Source: adapted from Tosca Reno.

No comments:

Post a Comment