Saturday, April 28, 2012

Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Apples and Pecans

Mmmm, breakfast!  I really, really enjoy breakfast.  I may be one of the few, though, judging from all the articles and books out there trying to convince people to eat it.  I don't need any arm-twisting.  I wake up looking forward to breakfast, and for one really enjoy adding variety to it.  In the past, I've made porridge, baked oatmeal, cold oatmeal, oat bran, frittata, bars, granola... the list goes on, and I'm continually adding to it.

It was while I was digging through my browser bookmarks looking for something 'new', that I was reminded of an old favourite that I hadn't shared with you yet.  It's one I've made several times since first 'discovering' it on another blog, and each time I've enjoyed it, regardless of the variations I've made to it.  This one I sincerely recommend trying out, you won't be disappointed!

Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Apples and Pecans
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup steel-cut oats
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups milk
Pinch of salt

2 large apples, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 1/2 tsp maple syrup, divided (optional -- I left it out)

1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted


Directions:
Cook the oats according to package directions.  Mine were to boil over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, do the apple prep:  Chop apples, and combine with water, the cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup (if using) in a small pot.  Cook over medium heat until the apples have softened a little and turned syrupy, about 5 minutes.

Stir the apple mixture into the oatmeal.

Divide the oatmeal among four bowls, top with toasted pecans.

Drizzle 1 teaspoon of the maple syrup over each bowl (if using). Serve immediately.  

Enjoy!
Source: Well-Fed Newlyweds.

No comments:

Post a Comment