Friday, May 18, 2012

Celebrating 100 Posts!

This is an occasion to mark! I'm today writing my 100th blog post.  I'm excited for that. I don't really think in August when I started that I really expected to find this many recipes to share.  I didn't think I knew 100 recipes, or at least, not 100 different ones!  I'm enjoying the process and still having fun experimenting in the kitchen, and that's what counts, right?

Tonight, instead of sharing a fresh, new recipe, I'm sharing a picture of a little treat I made recently for my nurse man.  One of the weeks after we'd started dating, I had been looking for an idea for my Wilton cake decorating class 'grand finale' cake.  It's the one where we put all the skills we've learned to good use in a looks-good, smells-good, almost too pretty to eat cake.  I was stumped.  I couldn't think of what to make that seemed good enough.  In a joking way, he'd suggested I make an igloo, (because at that time it was cold out,) and a penguin to go with it.  And originally I'd laughed and shrugged it off as an impossibility and more-or-less forgot about it.  But the seed of idea had been planted.

Then, one day not too long ago, the idea came back to me.  When I'd made chocolate cake, either for Dad's birthday or one of my cake courses (I can't remember now) I'd had too much batter and ended up making a mini-cake in a spring-form 4-inch pan.  So, I took that little, frozen mini cake and thawed it, iced it with buttercream tinted with mint, covered it in fondant and made myself a penguin.  Then because he looked lonely, I made him a buddy to share his itty-bitty igloo.

So today, for my 100th blog post, I'm sharing with you the penguins & igloo I made for my nurse man.

Enjoy!
 (In case you were wondering, the cake has been eaten but the penguins remain.  They're just too cute to eat!)

Happy Victoria Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment