Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chicken Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

This recipe's a repeat.  Well, at least for me it's a repeat.  I was so excited to see it in this month's Clean Eating Magazine, that I rushed right out to get the ingredients to put it together.  Thing is, between buying the ingredients and trying to make the recipe, I misplaced my magazine.  So the first time I made the recipe, I had to wing it.  I used what I'd bought best-guessing the how-to on previous experiences I've had making beef shepherd's pie.  It actually turned out quite well, and I got really excited to make it again, as CEM intended.  I've got to say, both times, I was extremely happy with the results.  This is one of my new favourite recipes, hands down.

The great thing is that the whole thing won't go to waste if you're missing an ingredient -- play around.  Pick different spices, try it with different mustards, try ground chicken, try different veggie combinations... really the possibilities are endless.  I sincerely encourage you to try this one; you'll love it!

Chicken Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Makes: 4 2-cup servings

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
2 Tbsp flour (whole wheat, or alternative)
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
 Preheat oven to 350F.
Boil sweet potatoes until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain and mash, mixing in Greek yogurt, and sea salt and pepper to taste.  Mash until smooth and set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil, then onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.  Add cubed chicken breast and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, until golden brown.  Add flour and marjoram and stir to coat.  Add chicken broth and Dijon mustard and bring to a simmer.  Cook, stirring frequently for 1 - 2 minutes until sauce thickens.  Remove from heat and stir in carrots and peas.

Spoon mixture into a 9-inch pie dish, spreading evenly over the bottom.  Spread sweet potato mixture over the top, smoothing with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown.

Enjoy!

Source: Clean Eating Magazine, June 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment