Sunday, May 20, 2012

Coconut Bread

I'm enjoying the long weekend by rediscovering semi-forgotten joys.  I spent the past hour eying all the beautiful creations on Ravelry, and the past few days finishing up the miscellaneous garden chores I get to forget all winter.  I bought these two hanging baskets for the front of my place that are just beautiful.  And in a short while I'll get to replace the tulips out there with the summer flowers.  Last year I planted begonias, this year I'm not sure yet.  Any ideas?

My whole house smells like coconut.  Coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut flour...  This bread is light and mildly sweet, reminiscent of a coconut biscotti, but minus the crunch.  The heat kicked in this weekend, and had I not baked this bread at a freakishly early hour this morning, I'd probably have put it on the back-burner.  But now I've got bread and coconut smell, and a beautiful, sunny day to enjoy.

This bread's tasty on its own, or nice with a little bit of coconut oil or almond butter if that's your thing.  Either way, if you're a coconut fan, this is one recipe that'll surely hit the spot.

Coconut Bread
Makes: 1 loaf

Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour (I substituted brown rice flour instead of battling the long weekend lineups at the grocery store)
1/2 cup full cream can of coconut milk (about half the can, using only the creamy part on top)
5 eggs
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
Stevia, to taste

Directions:
Blend together the eggs, coconut milk, stevia, and salt.  Add the flours and baking powder, mixing until you don't see any lumps.  Pour into loaf pan greased with the coconut oil and bake at 350F for 40 minutes.  The top of the loaf should be firm and a light golden colour.

Enjoy a little coconut sunshine!
 Source: The Candida Diet website.

No comments:

Post a Comment