Sunday, May 27, 2012

Coconut Chickpea Soup

In searching for new lunch ideas, I had stumbled across this recipe.  It sounded good, right up until I came across the requirement for curry.  I have a very iffy relationship with curry.  It's just not for me in strong amounts, but, in small amounts and the right balance (like butternut squash soup) I can see its benefit.  Either way, for the sake of trying it out, I was willing to do the curry thing.  Top that off with the fact that it was raved about in a reader comment in this month's Clean Eating Magazine, and I knew I had to try it.  It sounds like an odd combination at first, but it works.

Coconut Chickpea Soup
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 15-oz cans chickpeas (BPA-free cans & unsalted organic recommended by CEM)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups roughly torn kale with stems removed
2 cloves garlic
15 oz low-fat coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Directions:
In a blender, combine everything and puree until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.  (If you're like me, you'll need to make a few batches.) Transfer to a medium pot and heat on medium-high heat.  Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.  Divide among serving bowls and serve with toasted whole-wheat pitas.

Enjoy!
Source: Clean Eating Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment