Thursday, May 3, 2012

Crustless Broccoli & Cheese Mini Quiches

It's May already, and it's raining still.  But, in light of my birthday turning into a week of celebrating, I was off in search of low-fat, high-protein snacks.  Ever notice how trendy the 100-calorie snacks are? They seem to be everywhere!  It's a little crazy... and reading the ingredient list on some of them sounds like a chemistry lesson, so they won't be in my grocery basket.

What is in my basket, or at least was this week, are eggs, broccoli, milk, and Greek yogurt.  It seemed like it was meant to be when I found this recipe in my Clean Eating book.  These mini-quiches are perfectly snack-sized, go well with veggies (for a little crunch!) and don't need to be re-heated if you're eating on the go.  Plus, they have a protein kick to get you through the afternoon. 

The only caveat I can offer, is on the oregano.  I like oregano, don't get me wrong, but this recipe has too much for my liking.  Probably half would have been enough.  That said, when I make it again, I may even only use one quarter teaspoon, just to gauge the difference.  They're still good, don't get me wrong, they're very good, just very oregano-y.

Crustless Broccoli & Cheese Mini Quiches
Makes: 12 (6 servings)

Ingredients:
olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
2/3 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
2 Tbsp low-fat milk
1 whole egg
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp sea salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F and spray the cups of a muffin tin lightly with cooking spray.

Heat oil in a medium skillet.  Add broccoli and saute five minutes.   Distribute broccoli evenly among prepared muffin cups; spread half the cheese evenly on top.

In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, egg, and seasonings, then distribute evenly over top of broccoli and cheese. 
Top with remaining cheese and bake 25 minutes or until quiches are set and lightly browned around the edges. 
Cool five minutes and serve, or col and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.

Enjoy!
Source: Best of Clean Eating Magazine, page 160.

No comments:

Post a Comment