Saturday, May 12, 2012

Teff Breakfast Bowl

Yup, it's another breakfast recipe!  This one's a little different, again.  I have to say it was one that had to grow on me.  The first time I tried teff, it seemed too grainy for me.  But, with the right variety of fruit to go with it, I can say now I'm a teff eater.

The whole breakfast from start to finish takes about 20 minutes, but since the recipe makes enough for two, if you're eating alone you'll have breakfast for tomorrow, which cuts down the prep time drastically, which is always a good thing.  A quick, simple, and filling breakfast makes for a good morning, doesn't it?

Teff Breakfast Bowl
Makes: 2 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole grain teff
scant pinch sea salt
1 tsp ground flaxseed (also called flaxseed meal)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 small banana*
1 cup strawberries*
2 Tbsp pecan pieces

* I used apple because it's what I had on hand.

Directions:
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil.  Add teff and pinch of sea salt, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. 

Remove from heat, stir and let sit, covered, about 3 minutes.
 
Stir in flax and cinnamon.  Divide equally between two bowls; pour almond milk over teff and top with fruit and nuts.

Enjoy!
Source: Tosca Reno. 

No comments:

Post a Comment