Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lemon Chip Cookies

Yup, that's right LEMON chips!
I was so excited to find these at the Bulk Barn the other day, after being pointed in that direction by a coworker and fellow baker.  I borrowed her idea, rushed right home, and made these: a combination of my stand-by chocolate chip cookie dough and the smell-so-good lemon baking chips.  The house smells so amazing it's worth heating up the kitchen.

I'll have to make them again, to verify the texture.  They came out a little differently than normal because I had to 50/50 the butter between salted and unsalted because it's what I had on hand.  I make the mistake of assuming I have all the cookie supplies I'll need at home because normally I do, and this time I got caught.

The other thing I did here that it doesn't specify in the original recipe, beyond swapping out the chips, is I left the dough in the fridge for 24 hours before baking, and used my small scoop to get more cookies out of the recipe.  Here's why: it makes the cookies sooo much better.  Don't believe me? Try it yourself, you'll see!


Lemon Chip Cookies
Makes: about 4 1/2 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups lemon baking chips


Directions:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients except chips. Add slowly to wet ingredients.
Mix in baking chips.
Store in fridge for 12 - 36 hours.  Mine went in for 24.
 Before / After resting for 24 hours
Preheat oven to 375F.
Scoop  dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Bake in centre of oven one sheet at a time for 8 - 10 minutes.  I had to vary the time depending on which baking sheet I used.  Let cool on sheet 1 minute, then cool completely on a rack.

Enjoy!
Source: adapted from President's Choice Decadent cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment