Friday, June 22, 2012

Rosemary-Braised Turkey Cutlets

It's Turkey.  For supper.  And it's not even a holiday!  This recipe spoke to me as a little out of the ordinary and therefore worth experimenting with.  And I do mean experimenting with... I changed a few things.  I swapped out the couscous for quinoa, I swapped out Mandarin orange juice for lemon juice, and I adjusted the cooking times for these substitutions.  It ended up being an experiment to see if it would all come together, or end up being a big waste of food!!  In the end, I'm happy with how it turned out.

Wednesday evening, despite it being 35C here, not counting the humidex, I went walking with the friend I walked the 9-Run-Run with.  We did a little over an hour, give-or-take 6 kilometers or so.  It was a great walk, and a long-overdue catchup.  It was the highlight of my day!

Because I was so uplifted from my walk, I had time to come home and make up this delightful supper.  I'm not a big fan of the crazy-hot (like that day), but I have to admit, the sunshine is doing wonders for everybody's mood.  Happy beginning of summer, everyone!

Rosemary-Braised Turkey Cutlets
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, dinced
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 4-oz boneless, skinless turkey breast cutlets
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh Mandarin orange juice *I subbed in lemon juice
1 cup whole wheat couscous *I used quinoa
3 Mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
12 oz broccoli florets

Directions:
In a large non-stick saute pan with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium-high.  Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to low, stir in rosemary, and cover.  Cook, stirring once, until onion softens, about 2 minutes.

Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of turkey.  Increase heat to medium and push onion-rosemary mixture to sides of pan.  Add turkey and sear, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side**.  Stir in broth, juice, and couscous (or quinoa) ad bring to a simmer.  Top with Mandarin oranges and broccoli, distributing evenly.  Cover and cook, undisturbed, until turkey is cooked through and broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp, about 6 minutes**.  Fluff couscous with a fork and serve immediately.

**Note, times may need to be adjusted depending on thickness of turkey.

Enjoy!
Source: Clean Eating Magazine, January/February 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment