Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup

I make my lunches for work in advance.  I plan it so I'll have something for work each day, without being stranded and stuck paying for lunch.  This is the normal routine.  But then, once in a while, something comes up and messes with that plan.  Today, this one saved my week.  Before you say 'hey, she's posted this before', let me explain. This recipe is similar to that one, but just different enough:  it's pureed, it doesn't have all the same vegetables, and it's spicier.  So, call it a variation on a great recipe?

It's a throw-together of things that are normally in my fridge or pantry: spices, broth, sweet potatoes, onion, apples.  I used the lentils I had in the pantry and it worked well.  I don't see really why one colour would be superior to another here, and am just curious enough to try others to find out.  I adapted this recipe quite heavily: made it for the slow cooker, adjusted the spices to taste, left out the butter and yogurt.  Do what you will -- it's hard to wreck this one.

Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
4 cups vegetable broth
 
Directions:
Chop everything and place in a slow cooker. 
Cook on HIGH for 4 - 5 hours, or  LOW for 7 - 8 hours depending on the time you have to work with.
Puree softened mixture until desired consistency is reached. 
Divide into six servings.  Serve hot.

Enjoy!
Source: adapted from Allrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment