Thursday, August 9, 2012

Spicy Raspberry Balsamic Chicken Breasts

Yum!  That's the best word for this recipe: yum.  I am loving it, and I'm looking forward to loving it later on this week as leftovers-for-lunch.  There are recipes I make once and mark as recipes I should make again, but never seem to get around to it.  This one won't be one of those, I can tell.  It's just complex enough to tempt the taste buds, but simple enough to get ingredients and whip together.

I used my Pampered Chef rice cooker to do the bulgur instead of my saucepan, so that I could do it at the same time as the chicken without having to keep a strict eye on it.  I had a little panic moment when I thought I'd over-cooked the bulgur, but after adding a few tablespoons of water and giving it another zip in the microwave, it came out marvelously.  The hardest part, surprisingly for me, was finding raspberries.  My local grocery store was completely out, and the next store I tried had some questionable ones... I supposed if I had been really stuck I could have thawed some frozen ones to use, and just given them a little less time.

Normally I make a recipe, and wait until I find a convenient moment to blog it.  This recipe I couldn't wait to blog! I barely had time to put down my fork before zipping over to my computer to share it with you.  If it looks even half-ways tempting, I'm telling you, don't wait -- make it for your next meal!  You won't regret it!

Spicy Raspberry Balsamic Chicken Breasts
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 bulgur
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 1/2 tsp orange zest
1/8 tsp sea salt
4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp safflower oil
1 cup diced shallots
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp low-sodium soya sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup fresh raspberries

Directions:
Cook bulgur according to package directions; add broccoli to last 2 minutes of cooking time.  Remove from heat and stir in salt and zest; set aside.

Meanwhile, season chicken on all sides with black pepper and onion powder.  In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil on medium-high.  Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.  Turn chicken and add shallots.  Cook for 5 additional minutes, stirring shallots occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.  Transfer chicken to a large plate and cover to keep warm; keep shallots on medium-high heat.

To shallots, add vinegar, soya sauce, honey, and red pepper flakes.  Stir to combine and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds.  Stir in raspberries and cook for 30 more seconds, until berries soften slightly.  Divide chicken and bulgur among serving plates and spoon berry mixture over chicken.

Enjoy!
Source: Clean Eating Magazine, August/September 2012. 


No comments:

Post a Comment