Monday, February 18, 2013

Black Bean and Tomato Soup

After a weekend of eating out, (a lot!) I was in the mood for something healthy.  So, I got my things together and came up with a bookmarked recipe for healthy soup.  It's win-win -- it's healthy, it's filling, it's easy, and it's just flexible enough that you can't really screw it up.

Black Bean and Tomato Soup
Makes: 6, 1 1/2 cup servings

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 15 oz cans of black beans
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
I went off script on this one -- I tossed everything into a 5-quart slow cooker and let it go for two hours on high, then another four on low.  It made my kitchen smell wonderful!

Once it was all cooked, I used an immersion blender to smoothen it out a bit.  Use your judgement -- it's personal preference since it doesn't change the taste at all.

Enjoy!

(In case you were curious, one of the really good meals I had out this weekend was at Big Rig Brewery.  It's new in Ottawa, and has a to-die-for Salted Caramel Vanilla Crunch Cake!) 

Source: Skinny Bitch via Save the Kales.

2 comments:

  1. This soup is great! I cant endorse it enough. Make a double batch and eat for a week. Keep up the good work Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Took a while to get back into the swing of things but I'm glad I came back to it. I hope you find some more recipes you like.

    ReplyDelete