Friday, February 15, 2013

Marshmallow Fondant

Soo.... 's been a while.  What's that thing that people say when they run into somebody they haven't seen in ages?  I meant to call but got busy then couldn't because it'd been so long?  Something like that. Lots of things changed in the past few months, and I kind of lost the taste for blogging.  Then I made a bunch of recipes that just fell flat -- they disappointed me, or failed completely, and really, who wants to post a failure?  So I waited until I had some good stuff to show, and here I am, back posting for you again.

In the beginning of this brand new year, I was asked to make a wedding cake for friends who will be married next January.  I'm excited, and nervous, and honored, and thrilled, all at once!  I get to be part of a very important day and help them make memories to last forever.  How amazing is that?!  I can't wait!

In the mean time, I'm taking a new cake decorating class (to help prepare me for their "big day").  I wanted to learn the proper way to stack a tiered cake, make homemade fondant, and try out some new recipes so I can provide the bride with her one huge caveat: the bride's cake has to be lactose-free.  What better excuse is there to try out new chocolate cake recipes than that?  I have a few recipes I love, but they won't work with regular milk so I've got all year to find another one for her.

The first recipe I'm posting in my getting-back-into-it mode, is homemade fondant.  I used this great recipe from Annie's Eats to try my hand at it.  Annie never lets me down!

Marshmallow Fondant
Makes: About 3 pounds

Ingredients:
Shortening to greasing dishes, workspace, and utensils
15 oz mini marshmallows
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp salt
7-8 cups icing sugar

Directions:
Grease the inside of a microwave-safe bowl and stand mixer bowl with a thin but thorough layer of shortening.  Also grease a silicone spatula or two, as well as the hook attachment for the mixer.

In the microwave safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and water.  Microwave the mixture in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the mixture is melted and somewhat soupy.  When the mixture is melted, remove from the microwave and stir in the lemon juice, corn syrup, extracts, and salt.

Place about 6 cups of icing sugar in the stand mixer bowl and form a well in the center.  Pour the marshmallow mixture into the well and knead on low speed with the dough hook until the sugar is mostly incorporated.  When the mixture begins to stick to the bowl, add an additional 1 cup icing sugar and continue kneading.

At this point additional sugar may or may not be needed.  (Consistency will vary due to environmental humidity and how light or heavy you scoop your sugar.)  The final consistency of the fondant should be totally smooth, but quite thick, similar to modeling clay.  If the mixture becomes too much for the stand mixer, transfer the fondant to a greased work surface and continue to knead with greased hands until the desired consistency is achieved.

Form the fondant into a smooth ball, coat lightly with shortening, and wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap.  Place in an airtight bag, press out all excess air, and seal.  Let rest at least 3-4 hours or overnight before using.

Annie suggests the fondant is still good for use when used 4-7 days after being prepared.  I know based on my experience I would want to take her advice and make the fondant on a different day from making the cake to break up the steps so I can approach each step fresh.  That way I'm not tempted to cut corners because I am tired out from the last step.

Enjoy!
SourceAnnie's Eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment