Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dad's Birthday Cake part I - Chocolate Rolled Buttercream

This past weekend, we celebrated my Dad's birthday.  It was a semi-milestone birthday, but in true-to-Dad fashion he didn't really appear to care about the whole thing at all.  To mark the occasion anyway (and to get another excuse for a cake!) my family gathered together to celebrate with a meal and gifts.  My contribution was this cake, and assistance to my Mom in tracking down the Sons of Anarchy season for him.  Dad's been sucked into that show in a big way, and now when I watch it if I'm over there, I am starting to get sucked in too!

This cake was exactly the chance I needed for two reasons: it gave me opportunity to test drive a new vanilla cake recipe (which I will not be sharing with you because it turned out to be less than I had hoped,) and it gave me opportunity to try working with rolled buttercream.  Rolled buttercream is a concept that up until recently was completely unheard of to me.  How I've made it this far without discovering this yummy substance I do not know!  This version, in chocolate, is literally homemade Tootsie Roll.  Don't believe me? Make it yourself. You'll see.  Tootsie Roll.  As a cake covering.  You're welcome.

Chocolate Rolled Buttercream
Makes: About twice what you would need to cover one 8"x3" layer cake

Ingredients:
1 cup clear solid vegetable shortening
1 cup clear corn syrup
1/2 tsp butter flavouring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
6 1/2 - 7 1/2 cups powdered sugar (slightly less than 2 lbs)

Directions:

Note: this recipe is best made with a heavy duty stand mixer with a paddle then wire hook attachment.

Cream together shortening and corn syrup in bowl of stand mixer.  Add flavourings, salt, and cocoa powder and beat until well blended.  Mix in the powdered sugar until thoroughly mixed in.  Mixture will be extremely stiff.  If this is too much for your mixer, dump the contents out to counter top and knead in remaining powdered sugar until smooth and well blended.

To store: cover in a thin layer of shortening and wrap in plastic wrap.  Store in sealed plastic bag and place bag inside an airtight container.

Note 2: Rolled buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days, in the fridge for several weeks, or frozen for several months.  Let it return to room temperature before using.

Enjoy!


Source: Cake Central. 

No comments:

Post a Comment