Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lemon Buttercream Icing

To continue from the fondant blog, I have been trying new and wonderful cake-y recipes to work on my cake decorating class and build up my skills for the upcoming wedding cake I'm planning to tackle.  One of my more recent assignments is to make a cake frosted with buttercream.  Easy enough, right? I had complete freedom in what I chose to make and decorate.  So I looked through my bookmarks, googled around a bit, looked through my books, and dreamed up various different scenarios.  I finally settled on this cake idea because the recipe for the icing sounded too great to pass up!

The one change I made is fairly major.  I swapped out the salted butter specified in the recipe with unsalted.  This is because my experience with it was completely opposite to Karlynn's.  She says she chose to use salted butter to cut down on the too-sweet taste of the icing, but for my nearly salt-free taste, it was way too salty to stand! I ended up doubling the batch, using one batch with salted butter as written, and one unsalted to tone down the salt flavour and still it was noticeably salty for me.  When I make it again, it will be unsalted all the way.  But, where salty/sweet are concerned it's all personal preference, so do whatever makes you happy.

Lemon Buttercream Icing
Makes: frosting for a 8x2-inch layer cake

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lemon zest
3 Tbsp lemon juice
5 Tbsp cream

Directions:
Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Slowly add in powdered sugar and lemon zest, alternating with liquids until desired consistency is reached.

Ice cake as desired.

Enjoy!


Source: slightly adapted from Kitchen Magpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment