Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Slow-cooker Tuscan Turkey & White Bean Chili

Now, just so you don't think I spent the whole month eating nothing but cake, haha, I present: a turkey chili.  A Clean Eating turkey chili, no less.  I got a little lazy with it, I will admit... for a slow cooker recipe, this had a lot going on in the original recipe, like buying, grilling, and scraping fresh corn kernels into the pot -- I skipped it and bought frozen instead.  Overall though, even with shortcuts, it's a yummy lunch and a great mental break from my usual tail-end-of-winter meals.

Also, I used whole turkey breast that I cut into smaller more bite-sized chunks.  The recipe originally calls for ground turkey breast, but that's a rare find in my area, so I just chopped up a whole breast instead.

Slow-Cooker Tuscan Turkey & White Bean Chili
Makes: 6 servings of about 1 1/2 cups each

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs turkey breast (ground or chopped)
4 chopped garlic cloves
1 yellow onion, chopped
12 mini redskin potatoes, scrubbed and halved
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups low-sodium broth (chicken or veggie)
2 15 oz cans low-sodium beans (white beans recommended, but works well with bean medley)
1 cup tomato puree
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 tsp basil leaves, dried

Directions:
In a skillet, heat oil then brown turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes until  turkey begins to brown.

Transfer mixture to 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and slow cook over high heat 3 - 6 hours, testing every hour to see if potatoes and veggies have softened. 

Enjoy!
Source: adapted from Clean Eating Magazine, Jan/Feb 2013, p. 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment