Sunday, April 14, 2013

"Everything But the Kithen Sink" Healthy Snack Bars

I started participating in a fitness program recently that is supposed to kick my butt into fit form for the upcoming summer.  While I can't complain about the food (all clean eating: fresh meats, veggies, and fruits, yummy granola and nut mix) I found myself missing my usual habit of flipping through recipes and looking for the object of my next craving.  I found a happy compromise in this recipe -- it gives me a healthy snack, and a fix to my itch to bake.

This recipe is a snap.  The bulk of the ingredients exist perpetually in my cupboards due to various other recipes I've tried and a general bent on natural nutrition.  (The obvious exception to this is my cake decorating habit, but hey, nobody's 100%.)  Toss everything into the food processor, press it into a pan, cool, cut, and go.  The only other thing I could suggest is to make 12 balls instead of bars and keep them in the freezer for a quick snack whenever.  Personal preference :)

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Healthy Snack Bars
Makes: 12 bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup quinoa flakes
1/4 cup each walnuts, pecans, cashews
1/3 cup flaxseeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
5 Tbsp hemp hearts
1 tsp cinnamon
dash sea salt

1 cup dried dates
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Line an 8x8" pan with plastic wrap.

Soak dates in hot water for 5 minutes.  Drain, discard water, set dates aside.

Pour all ingredients except dates and vanilla into foodprocessor and pulse until grainy.  Add drained dates and vanilla and pulse until combined.  Smooth into prepared pan and let cool in fridge for 30 minutes.  Cut into bars and wrap in plastic wrap.  Store in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for longer.

Enjoy!
Source: The Social Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment